PVA Home  Meeting Notes March 14, 2009
    Home Page Contact Us  
Calendar of Events
Past, Present, Future
Penacook Village Association Meeting
March 14, 2009
9:00 a.m.
Rolfe House
11 Penacook Street
Penacook, NH

Attendees: Steve Shurtleff, Terri Culjat, Lynne Raleigh, Ralph Harwood, Phil Latvis, Lois Bradley, Marge Goldman, Sumner Goldman, Brent Todd of Concord 20/20, Jennifer Kretovic of Concord 20/20

Guests: Chief Dan Andrus, Concord Fire Department
Steven Whitley, Esq., Baldwin & Callen, PLLC


Brent Todd of Concord 20/20 welcomed the group. Sumner remarked the coldness of the building was problematic. All agreed it was rather chilly. Sumner asked if the tenant of the building could turn on the heat prior to the group’s meeting so as to warm the place up a little bit. Steve S. said he would follow up with the Penacook Historical Society.


Chief Dan Andrus spoke to the group about the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program which educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Chief Andrus will be conducting training throughout neighborhoods in Concord but Penacook has been selected as the starting point. The program works best with approximately 20 participants. Since many of the regular meeting attendees were absent, Jennifer, Lynne and Terri will follow up to recruit volunteers.


Jennifer relayed an update from Matt Walsh with the City of Concord. Efforts to find a potential developer at the Tannery Site continue. Soil samples taken in January revealed chromium at certain hot spots under the building slab. City Engineering is working with NH Department of Environmental Services.


a) ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE: Attorney Steven Whitley led the group through a thorough review and discussion of each chapter of the draft By-laws of Penacook Village Association. Without solid representation of the regular attendees, all formal acceptances of the changes were tabled for further review. Attorney Whitley will provide Kathy Bush the Revised Draft resulting from the days’ discussion.



Ralph kindly provided historic photographs and postcards of Penacook. Jennifer will scan these so a digital version exists for possible inclusion in the brochure. Everyone is encouraged to bring in other photos. Ralph will also see about getting or taking photos of various areas in Penacook to highlight in the brochure. Jennifer suggested the group look on flikr.com and search Penacook. This would show many local photographers who have taken photos of the village.


Lynne is always looking for more events to include the calendar otherwise; the website is up-to-date.


Jennifer informed the group of Green Commute Week which is May 11th to the 15th. The week is designed to encourage people to choose environmentally friendly commuting options such as public transit, biking, walking, car pooling, etc. Jennifer will send the press release information to Lynne for posting on the website.


* Dave Murray is the scheduled Guest Speaker for the April meeting. He will talk about the various spring and summer plantings that will work best in the Penacook Neighborhoods.

* Steve Shurtleff updated the group that the Superintendent of Merrimack Valley School District sent a letter to the City Manager requesting Penacook Elementary and Merrimack Valley Middle Schools receive consideration as a Safe Route to School along several of the village streets in Penacook. The designation should help the sidewalk snow removal efforts by increasing the priority level of Penacook sidewalks.

Meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.

Next Meeting will be April 18th
May meeting is tentative for May 16th

Back to Meeting Notes and Bulletins
To Top 
To involve citizens in enhancing the quality of life, protecting the historic character, and fostering economic vitality in Penacook Village.
To contact the Association, please use the Contact Us button Contact Us found on every page.