PVA Home  Meeting Notes February 14, 2009
    Home Page Contact Us  
Calendar of Events
Past, Present, Future
Schools
Libraries
Penacook Village Association Meeting
February 14, 2009
9:00 a.m.
Rolfe House
11 Penacook Street
Penacook, NH

Attendees: Steve Shurtleff, Terri Culjat, Lynne Raleigh, Ed Bush, Kathy Bush, Ralph Harwood, Lois Bradley, Peter Dodge, Brent Todd of Concord 20/20, Jennifer Kretovic of Concord 20/20

1. WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS:
Brent Todd of Concord 20/20 welcomed the group.

2. TANNERY UPDATE: Jennifer relayed an update from Matt Walsh with the City of Concord. Efforts to find a potential developer at the Tannery Site continue. A second round of soil sampling took place in January. It was asked if there was a problem with the results of the sampling done in December. Steve Shurtleff responded that this was a sample that could be taken deeper into the soil.

3. TASK FORCE ASSIGNMENTS:

a) ORGANIZATION COMMITTEE: Kathy Bush presented the draft By-laws of Penacook Village Association, as written and recommended by Attorney Steven Whitley.

 Discussion was centered on defining the Membership and a Quorum for the organization. There are several portions of the by-laws that reference the membership and a quorum of the membership. For example: If the “corporation shall have a membership body of up to one hundred (100) persons, firms, etc.” and Quorum of Members is defined as “Twenty-five (25%) of the members”. This could be problematic when developing long term plans for the organization. Kathy advised everyone, the By-laws should be written to reflect how the group sees the organization 10-years down the road. As a starting point for the By-laws, the group envisioned:

(a) A low cost membership fee, which would entice many people to become members, whether residents/stakeholders of Penacook or not.
(b) To meet a realistic quorum of members, the Association would mimic the quorum as defined by the American Legion to a specified number of members. (The local American Legion Post has hundreds of members, but the quorum is defined as seven (7) members in good standing.)

 The group also discussed Officers/Directors and the respective duties. The required number of officers and titles are not defined at this time. In the event the organization decides not to require an official Secretary, references to the Secretary and the duties would require modification in the By-laws.

 Kathy will discuss the recommendations with Attorney Whitley. She anticipates he will attend the March meeting to offer his professional opinion and recommendations.

 The Draft By-laws will be updated to reflect the discussions. The revised draft will be presented to the group at the March meeting for further discussion.

b) MARKETING & PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEE:

 BROCHURE: Everyone is being asked to bring photos for possible inclusion in the brochure at the March meeting.

 WEBSITE: Lynne is always looking for more events to include the calendar otherwise; the website is up-to-date.

4. UPCOMING EVENTS:
None presented.

5. OTHER BUSINESS:

 Chief Daniel Andrus will be our guest speaker on Saturday, March 14th. He will discuss the CERT Program for Concord. CERT is the Citizens’ Emergency Response Training Program which trains volunteers/citizens on what to do in the event of an emergency. For example: During the December Ice Strom, CERT volunteers would have known which neighbors in their area needed to be checked on when the power was out because of medical conditions.

 Dave Murray would be able to accommodate the group’s request to be a speaker at the April Meeting. Based on the timing around Easter and Mother’s Day, the PVA is being asked to accommodate Dave’s schedule and hold the meeting on April 18th. All agreed the meeting should be set at the March meeting, when more people are in attendance.

 Steve Shurtleff presented a correspondence from City Manager-Tom Aspell, in regards to the cost of sidewalk snow removal for Penacook Village. In sum, the current economy will make it difficult to accomplish. The group discussed Safe Routes to School and Kathy informed everyone that several years ago Merrimack Valley School District was able to acquire reduced bonding by having all students bused to the schools. Essentially it makes sidewalk clearing for students unnecessary. Jennifer recommended having the information sent formally to TPAC-Pedestrian for review. The group is currently looking into the issue of snow removal on a citywide basis. Steve would like to see the city house some equipment either in or near the Village Center so as not to waste time/money having the sidewalk plow travel the distance to Penacook from the State Street site in Concord. Steve will continue to work with the City Staff to increase the plowing priority for the Village.

 Central NH Regional Planning Commission continues their discussions with City staff to develop a Revitalization Plan for Penacook Village Association. Jennifer and Brent expect a follow up presentation in the coming months.

6. Meeting adjourned at 11:30 a.m.

Next Meeting will be March 14th
April meeting is tentative for April 18th

Back to Meeting Notes and Bulletins
To Top 
To involve citizens in enhancing the quality of life, protecting the historic character, and fostering economic vitality in Penacook Village.
To contact the Association, please use the Contact Us button Contact Us found on every page.